Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ now have TWRP Recovery and Root accessibility. Though it depends on the model because all the variants do not have TWRP available at this moment and with missing TWRP one cannot get root access for the device.
The first step before one start to root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ is to install TWRP Recovery. Other ways could be used like CF Auto Root etc, to root the device without needing TWRP but installing SuperSu root package using TWRP is a most popular way to root the device.
Variants of Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ having Root Access
Only two kinds of Galaxy S9 and S9+ variants have access to root device. Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ with codename starlte and star2lte respectively powered by Exynos 9810 have compatible TWRP recovery available. Samsung is selling these handsets in India, Europe, Australia, etc.
The model number of these two devices are :
- SM – G960F/FD/N (S9)
- SM – G965F/FD/N (S9+)
So the devices carrying following model number which were sold in the US, China, Japan, etc. do not have TWRP and root access :
- SM – G960U/U1/W/0/8/SC (S9)
- SM – G965U/U1/W/0/8/SC (S9+)
Galaxy S9 Root and TWRP Recovery
Before rooting your device you must know that the warranty of your device may be void if you root the device. And no one except for you will be responsible for any damage if occurs to your Samsung Galaxy S9 and its components.
Before proceeding you also need to make Backup for all important files stored on your device. This is just for in case something wrong happens during this process then you will have a backup of all your important documents.
- Check your device’s model number on its packaging box or in Settings>> About Device.
- Download TWRP Recovery:
- For Samsung Galaxy S9 SM- G960F/FD/N download 2.1-1(latest here)
- For Samsung Galaxy S9+ SM- G965F/FD/N download 2.1-1(latest here)
- Download ODIN Version 3.13.1 PC Software – LINK
- Download DM Verity Disabler – LINK
- Download OEM Unlock fix – LINK
- Download ElementalX kernel – LINK (Update: Added ElementalX kernel, removed the Nemesis kernel)
- Download any of the Root Package from following:
Installation Of Samsung Galaxy S9 TWRP Recovery and Root
- Unlock OEM Option: Settings>> About Phone>> Tap ‘Build Number’ 7 times or until a popup message ‘you’re now a developer’ appears. Go back and Select OEM Unlock using Toggle Button in Developer option in settings.
- Install Galaxy S9 Driver: Double Click on the .exe file of drivers.
- Extract the ODIN file: Odin3.v3.13.1.exe
- Disconnect your device from PC.
- Boot Samsung Galaxy S9 into Download mode:
- Power off your device. Wait for 5-6 minutes.
- Press and Hold Power Button + Bixby Button + Volume Down Button together until a warning appears on the screen.
- Press Volume Up button to continue to download mode.
- Double click on the extracted file of ODIN, odin3.v3.13.1.exe. this will open the Odin Window. Strictly follow instructions to avoid problems.
- Connect your device to PC. It is a must that PC recognizes your device. You will see ADDED!! the message appears in the Log Box in the Bottom Left. The first box under ID: COM will change its background to blue and will show a number.
- Load the TWRP file into Odin: Click the AP button on Odin and select the TWRP file in TAR format :
- File for Samsung Galaxy S9(starlte): twrp-3.2.1-0-starlte.tar.md5
- File for Samsung Galaxy S9+(star2lte): twrp-3.2.1-0-star2lte.tar.md5
- Don’t forget to check that Re-partition and Auto Reboot checkbox is NOT Selected under Options tab. Don’t use PIT Tab. Go to Log tab to check the progress.
- Click on Start Button on Odin now to start flashing TWRP on Galaxy S9. Wait till installation is finished. On successful installation, you will get a PASS!!
- If Odin gets stuck then do this all process again from starting.
- If you receive FAIL message then you need to flash the TWRP file again as started just above.
- Your Galaxy S9 would remain in download mode itself because we turned off Auto Reboot option. Reboot into recovery mode to access TWRP recovery:
- Press and Hold Volume Down Button + Bixby Button + Power Button together until the screen goes off. As soon as the screen goes off press Volume Up Button while still holding the Power Button and Bixby Button to reboot into recovery mode.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 will boot into TWRP recovery. It would ask for ’Allow For System Modification’. DO NOT ALLOW THAT. Select ‘Keep Read Only’ and do not swipe at the bottom. Through this, we can transfer the required files first that are needed once you allow system modification.
- Home Page of TWRP appears. Tap on Wipe Option and select Format Data Option. This is done to avoid errors/warnings like ‘Integrity verification Failure’. Swipe to format the device which will delete everything on the device.
- Reboot back into TWRP: Tap on reboot>> Recovery on TWRP’s homepage. Select DO NOT INSTALL.
- Connect to PC and transfer the DM Verity Disabler and OEM Unlock Fix files to your device. Disconnect your device after this.
- Install the OEM Unlock fix file and then the DM Verity Disabler file. We would also allow for System Modification during this process.
- Go to the Home page of TWRP.
- Tap on Install Button. Select the OEM Unlock Fix file (N965F_Root_for_OEM_issue_devices.zip)
- Do the swipe action at the bottom to install.
- Warnings will appear. Just press Next/OK button every time it asks to continue.
- Select ‘Process with ROM Flasher’ and MultiTool>> Next>> Patch for OEM Issue>> Next>> Do Not Change>> Next.
- Do not select the ‘reboot your device now’ option at the end.
- Hit Finish Button.
- Install DM Verity Disabler: Go to the home screen and tap on Install Button then select the SM Verity Disabler file (no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star.zip). Do swipe action to install.
- Restart the device: Tap on Reboot System button.
Access TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9 and S9+
To access TWRP recovery, reboot the device into recovery mode:
- Power off your device. Wait for 6-7 minutes.
- Press and Hold three buttons Volume UP + Bixby + Power Button together until Samsung Logo appears on the screen.
The process to Get Root Access on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
Nemesis kernel file will be used for this purpose by well-known developer Geiti94.
By now you must be aware of how to install a zip file when you installed DM Verity disabler and OEM Unlock issues files. To have root access one only need to install zip file of the root package and for now, a custom kernel is also needed. Steps to Install Custom Kernel is as follows:
- Reboot your device into Recovery Mode to access TWRP.
- Connect it to PC. Transfer the Nemesis kernel and SuperSu SR5 files. Don’t use Magisk for now. Disconnect your device.
- Tap on Install Button on the Home page of TWRP. Select the Nemesis kernel file. Do Swipe action to Install it.
- Go back to the homepage. Tap on Install Button. Select the SuperSu SR5 file. Swipe again to install it.
- Hit the Reboot System Button now. No need to install TWRP app if asked.